Live blogging PSFK London: Iain Tate
I've seen Ian speak before, and I've been looking forward to this for a while. His blog, crackunit
, is pretty cool.Ten Reasons Why Digital is Better than Advertising
Iain Tait (Poke
)Some chap from a digital agency tries to argue that an industry based around a bunch of geeks playing with joined-together computers is somehow more interesting than advertising.
Not about digital supremacy, it is about pride. (He uses a Black Panthers photo and a Pride parade photo to illustrate his point.)
Learn cool from digital. Shows Nathan Barley's Trashbat
Digital can learn client management from traditional agencies. (viral)
Quote of the day: We're all scum.
1. We don't have to do advertising. Loaded term. Clients need to get better at understanding that they don't always have to buy a campaign with timelines, for example. Think differently.
2. You can do just do things. Why have "scamps" ... Why are they in ad books? If you wanted to do it, why didn't you do it?
3. A "just do it" attitude fosters a culture of entrepreneurialism. Mantions the buzz and excitement for the Agency.com pitch for Subway.
4. Egos are marginally smaller. We know what we don't know. Importance of understanding that just we have seen (or even done a bit) of something, we don't assume that we know it all.
5. Online audiences are great: They're rude, fickle, stupid, smart, etc ... And they know way more than we do.
6. I want to be an inventor.
7. There's less to lose.
8.You don't have to work somewhere with four middle aged blokes' surnames above the door.
9. Working with people who properly live in the exciting and fun world I love. Mentions: My mom has seen me shopping for cock in Second Life. Oops.
10 The rules change every day.
I have a lot of respect for Ian, but at one point he mentioned how much he thought the Agency.com pitch for Subway viral was cool. On that one, I must admit that I thought it was totally shit
Technorati Tags: conferences